Get Ready For Greenrock 2019!
Thursday, June 20 - Sunday, June 23andThursday, July 11 - Sunday, July 14
What is Greenrock?
Greenrock Writers Retreat is a four-day camp for high school students with a passion for writing. Workshops are designed to encourage participants to view writing as both personally meaningful and pleasurable, as well as to improve student writing ability.
So what “rocks” about Greenrock? During the four days on the MSU campus, participants will have the opportunity to meet peers from other schools around Michigan and get a taste of life on a Big Ten campus. Whatever a participant’s writing interests and goals may be – whether it is creative writing or argumentative essays – Greenrock has something to offer. Each participant will also get a sense for the publishing process and even become a published author because Greenrock has its own anthology!
Who Is Involved in Greenrock?
Students who are incoming ninth graders through exiting twelfth graders in high school are invited to apply, regardless of writing proficiency. These participants will work with other young, aspiring writers as well as certified Red Cedar Writing teacher-consultants. These consultants are experienced classroom teachers who have been identified as outstanding writing teachers by their colleagues and university faculty members.
As a Participant You Will:
- work with a variety of teenagers from a multitude of high schools across Michigan
- explore and improve your talents as a writer, in both creative and academic settings
- experience the thrill of "college life" while staying in official MSU dormitories
- immerse yourself in the beauty of campus and rich cultural diversity through daily field trips
- take part in a long-standing MSU tradition of painting Spartan Rock (so bring old clothes)
- work with experienced college writers to enhance your own writing skills
- participate in a novel study and discussion centered on the camp's annual theme
- create memories you will never forget
When & Where is Greenrock?
June Retreat: Thursday, June 20, 2019 (Check-in at 5 P.M.)
Sunday, June 23, 2019 (Check-out at 12:30 P.M.)
*June Retreat registration deadline: May 19, 2019
July Retreat: Thursday, July 11, 2019 (Check-in at 5 P.M.)
Sunday, July 14, 2019 (Check-out at 12:30 P.M.)
*July Retreat registration deadline: June 9, 2019
June Retreat: Sunday, June 23 at 11:00 A.M.
July Retreat: Sunday, July 14 at 11:00 A.M.
Michigan State University Campus
$335 Early Bird Rate (March 15 - April 14)
$365 Regular Rate (beginning April 15)
Registration fee includes all meals, housing, a camp t-shirt, novel, and the Greenrock Anthology.
Interested high school students and their parents/guardians can click here to register online. Payment can be made by credit card or check. If payment by check, please send to:
Bessey Hall, Michigan State University
434 Farm Lane, Room 300
East Lansing, MI 48824
We regret refunds are only available until June 4, and a 20% processing fee will apply to all refunds prior to that time.
For eligible campers, a limited number of scholarships are available. Need is based on free or reduced lunch eligibility. Scholarships are awarded on a first-come, first-served basis. The applicant will be required to submit a (max) 300 word statement on the topic: “Why do you write?” If interested, please complete the following application on or before the due date of April 15, 2019.
2019 Scholarship Application
- Parking permits will also be available for a reasonable cost per request. There are a limited number of spaces available, so please sign up today!
- Students will receive a confirmation letter/email with a campus map indicating the dormitory location. Students will walk to various campus area locations and should have comfortable shoes and clothing for the duration of the program. Some facilities are not air-conditioned, so students should dress appropriately for the weather, and they may want to bring a fan for their dorm rooms.
- Greenrock will close with a public reading for family and friends beginning at 11:00 A.M. on the final Sunday of each camp. Participants will check-out of the dormitories at 12:30 P.M. Parents or guardians should plan to drop off and pick up their students at the dormitory, unless they intend to purchase parking permits for their students’ cars.
If you have questions regarding Greenrock Writers Retreat please contact the directors at email@example.com.